The History Room Committee of the Hudson Area Library is pleased to welcome railroad enthusiast, Dale Flansburg, to the library on Saturday, July 19 at 3:30pm as a guest speaker in the Hudson Area Library’s Local History Speaker Series. Flansburg will offer a presentation on the Albany-Hudson Fast Line, the electric trolley line that connected the two cities from the turn of the century to 1929.
The Albany-Hudson Fast Line was a third rail interurban railroad that merged the Hudson Street Railway, the Kinderhook & Hudson Railway, and the Greenbush & Nassau Electric Railway – a street railway, a steam railroad, and a new electric line. The railroad transported passengers to various stops between the two cities including the popular amusement park, Electric Park on Kinderhook Lake, which was opened in 1901 by the Albany and Hudson Railway Company with rides powered by the same third rail that powered the electric trolleys that brought visitors to the park.
A Columbia County resident, Dale Flansburg grew up in Cairo, NY, joined the Marines in the 1950s, and then came back to the area for work with IBM. Flansburg owns a private railroad museum in Germantown, NY, where he collects railroad memorabilia including station and crossing signs, dining car china, uniforms, timetables, and photographs. He has given numerous talks throughout the region and was recently featured in the documentary film, Rails to the Catskills.
The talk will be held on the first floor of the Hudson Area Library, with wheelchair access on the northeast side of the building. Admission is free and open to the public. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Light refreshments will be served.
The History Room Committee’s Local History Speaker Series offers bimonthly talks on diverse topics related to the history of Hudson, Greenport, Stockport, and Columbia County. The Hudson Area Library’s History Room houses a special collection that pertains to the history of the City of Hudson, as well as Columbia County and New York State. The History room is open Tuesday evenings from 5:30-7:30pm, Saturdays from 10am-12pm, and by appointment.