Federal and State tax forms, and instructions on how to complete them, are now available at the library. You can find them by our catalog computer, located near the Children’s Library.
If you can’t make it to the library, or need forms that we don’t have, you can contact the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance at (518) 457-5431, or find the forms to print online by clicking here, and contact the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-3676, or find their forms by clicking here.
If you need help filing your taxes, there are a few places you can go. Columbia Opportunities Inc. has a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA for short) Program for low-income families and individuals. For more information, and to schedule an appointment with them, click here. AARP is also providing assistance in Hudson, Philmont, Hillsdale, and Valatie as part of the IRS’s “Tax Counseling for the Elderly”. This program is open to all, but prioritizes people 60 years of age and older. For more information on this program, and to find a site close to you, click here.
We’ll have an Outreach Specialist from the Office of the Taxpayer Rights Advocate, New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, at the library on the following dates to assist eligible individuals with preparing their State and Federal Tax returns. Eligible individuals must have an income under $62,000. For more information on FSA tax assistance requirements and process please check https://www.tax.ny.gov/fsa/.
Thursday 2/18, 3/17, 4/14- 9am-12pm
Friday 2/19, 3/18, 4/15- 1pm-6pm
To ensure a successful FSA session, you must bring the following:
- a copy of your federal and state tax return tax return from last year (if filed)
- a picture ID (such as a driver’s license, a passport, or, if you live in NYC, an IDNYC)
- an affordable healthcare statement (Form 1095-A, Form 1095-B, or Form 1095-C)
- a health insurance exemption certificate (if received)
- information related to any credits you are claiming
- your bank account and routing numbers (so we may directly deposit your refund)
- proof of your income (Forms W-2, 1098, 1099, any other documents showing additional income)
Contact the library at 518-828-1792 to schedule an appointment.